The Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) is based on well-known, proven lean and agile principles that increase an organization’s productivity, quality, and economics. Value streams, cadence, small batches, limiting Work In Progress (WIP), continuous integration, self-managed teams, etc. are synergistic principles that improve product delivery which coalesces into Scaled Agile’s easy to consume SAFe ‘Big Picture.’
NEWS: January 5, 2016
Scaled Agile Announces SAFe 4.0: Introduces Innovations for Lean Software and Systems Engineering
The new Framework integrates Lean-Agile software development with lean systems engineering practices, providing a common way of working across the two disciplines, and bringing the benefits of both to the larger enterprise…. [Read the Full SAFe 4.0 Press Release]
321 Gang has years of experience helping organizations apply lean and agile principles to engineered organizations across many industries – aerospace, defense, automotive, medical device, and consumer electronics. This expertise is what inspired us to work with Scaled Agile to introduce Lean Systems Engineering (LSE) to version 4.0 of the framework- and provide more value to our complex systems clients on their lean-agile journey.
SAFe 4.0 introduces an ‘expanded view’ (LSE) option which focuses on many needs specific to systems builders. These include:
- Value Streams for coordination and optimally aligning an organization on value delivery
- Solution Intent which communicates the system’s intended behavior and design decisions and provides a technical repository for impact analysis and compliance
- Enablers to explicitly define exploration work for requirements and design that is performed in flow with the development and construction work
- Connected Kanbans that track and flow work across hierarchical layers
- Important engineering practices including Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), Set-Based Design, and Architecture that is integrated into the agile/SAFe delivery system
Many of our clients have already adopted some level of lean/agile practices- some within specific programs, others on parts of programs (a single IPT for example) and others within specific functional areas (e.g., software, systems). However, due to many factors, we see a high percentage of these adoptions stagnate and/or fail. 321 Gang can help overcome many typical obstacles- and applying SAFe provides a proven, longer-term enterprise solution that can then scale across functional groups, programs and up the hierarchy of an organization, providing significantly more value.
321 Gang’s years of expertise, and our contributions to/knowledge of the Scaled Agile Framework, combine to make us uniquely qualified to help the largest, most complex systems builders in the world realize the value of applying and scaling lean/agile practices in their organizations.